I started thinking the other day about who women in jiu-jitsu want to train with?
My first thought was that they want to train with other women, and then I thought that they probably want to train with lighter men or younger men but the simple truth is that they are the same as all of us men they only want to roll with GOOD training partners.
Now good training partners are obviously relative to your needs. All the things that usually make you a bad training partner can in some circumstances make you a good training partner but if you haven’t got the experience to judge the needs of your training partner you should probably not be one of these:
- Wrecking Ball – A selfish person who trains with you as though you are only there to be a piece of meat that he or she can pound
- Stinky Pants – Hygiene, come on guys do I really need to explain this?
- Also there is an awareness of what is appropriate that goes along with hygiene, for example I am pretty fat and disgusting and one of my favorite moves is the T Bag Kimura. I apply this regularly on my bigger rougher tougher students it has even become a thing of humor but I would never dream of applying it to 90% of my students, its just inappropriate.
- The constant voice – This person will not allow you to spar because they feel the need to exert their power over you by constantly teaching throughout the roll. Yes, it is good to help your training partner but theory is only 50% of learning Jiu-Jitsu, the rest must be learnt through the experience of live training so shut up and let them train.
- Predators – These guys only ever train with the same people. Sometimes these are weirdo men who just seek out rolling with the women in the club or they are on a power trip never sparring with people of a similar size and or ability, they just want to dominate.
If you want to be a good training partner mostly just don’t be the above or better understand the needs of your training partner.
LIVE LEARN EVOLVE